Indian Name: Kheere ka Raita Source: Jiva Newsletter -- Partap Chauhan
Properties of dish:
Taste: Madhur (sweet)
Quality: Sheet, guru and vishtambhi
Potency: Sheet (cold)
Post-digestive Effect: Cold
Medicinal properties of Cucumber Raita:
Cucumber Raita is light and easily digestible. It quenches thirst, cools the body, and gives instant energy, especially in the summer. It is good for hyperacidity, urinary tract infection, and heat-induced headache.
Yoghurt is warming in nature and cucumber is cooling in nature. Thus, it is a balanced recipe. Try to take fresh and young cucumber as old cucumber increase Pitta Dosha. Yoghurt should also be fresh. Cucumber Raita pacifies Pitta, Vata and Kapha doshas if taken in proper quantity. In excessive quantity it increases all three doshas.
• 1 cup Plain Yoghurt (without cream)
• 1/2 cup grated Cucumber
• 1 tsp chopped Coriander
• 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
• Pinch of Hing (Asafetida)
• Black Pepper
• Mix plain yoghurt with three cups of water and beat it well.
• Mix the grated cucumber with curd.
• Add salt and black pepper in desired quantity.
• Fry a pinch of hing with cumin seeds and mix this with the curd.
• Your Raita is ready. Serve it cold.