Indian name: Palak soup
Ayurvedic Properties of Spinach:
Quality: Dry and light
Post-digestive effect: Sweet
Medicinal Properties of Spinach soup:
Spinach soup is easily digestible, and is an excellent preparation
for indigestion and fever. It is also good for constipation because
it is rich in fiber. Spinach soup is also beneficial for people in
post surgical conditions, as well as for those with anemia, as it is
rich in iron. It is effective in weight reduction due to its
property of pacifying kapha dosha. (According to Ayurveda,
aggravated kapha increases weight.)
Spinach is sweet, dry, and cold in nature. It can cause flatulence.
It increases vata dosha in the body. We have added spices,
ginger, garlic, and milk for pacifying vata dosha. This
recipe pacifies all the three doshas.
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 bundle of spinach
- 3 green chilies (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic - ginger paste
- 4 garlic flakes (finely minced)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of ghee
- Salt to taste
- Cut the lower sticks of spinach, and wash spinach leaves
- Cut the onion, tomatoes, green chilies and spinach.
- Boil the chopped onion and tomatoes with a little water for
about 10 to 15 min.
- Boil the spinach, green chilies and garlic-ginger paste the
same way for about 15 min.
- Blend all of the boiled ingredients together into a smooth
Heat the ghee in a pot, and fry the minced garlic for a minute.
- Add the pulp, salt and bring to boil.
- Add milk and boil for 5 to 10 min.
- Serve hot!