Vegetable Pilaf (Source: Dr. Shekhar Annambhotla's Newsletter)
Balances Vata, Pitta, Kapha Makes 8 servings
1 cup rice
˝ cup cauliflower florets
˝ cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
˝ cup diced carrots
˝ cup diced beets (optional)
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon Vata, Pitta or Kapha Churna, according to imbalance
2 cups water
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro leaves or mint leaves
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon ghee or sunflower oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash the rice and set it aside.
2. Heat the ghee or oil in a saucepan. Once hot, add the grated ginger and sauté for about ˝ minute.
3. Add the Vata, Pitta or Kapha Churna and sauté for another 1/2 minute on low heat.
4. Add the raw rice and sauté for 3 minutes until well coated with the ghee and spices.
5. Now add the vegetables and sauté for 5-8 minutes more.
6. Add the water and the salt to taste. Stir and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer on low heat until the rice and vegetables have absorbed the water. Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
8. Serve hot with fresh lime juice sprinkled on top and garnished with cilantro or mint leaves.