Oral Presentation: Comprehensive Cancer Care ll: Integrating Complementary & Alternative Therapies,
Sponsored by Center for Mind-Body Medicine & National Cancer Institute, at the Hyatt Regency in Crystal City, Arlington, VA, June 1999.
see article here: http://www.endowmentmed.org/content/view/120/66/
A PILOT SURVEY: STANDARD CANCER THERAPY COMBINED WITH NUTRACEUTICAL DIETARY SUPPLEMENTATION IMPROVES TREATMENT RESPONSES AND PATIENT QUALITY OF LIFE. G. Hyland, M.D., D. Miller, M.T., Medcenter One, Dept. Radiation Oncology, Bismarck, North Dakota.
CONCLUSIONS: Nutraceutical dietary supplements:
1. Do not inhibit tumor cell destruction by radiation and chemotherapy
2. Enhance tumor cell destruction
3. Protect normal cells from radiation and cytotoxic damage
4. Induce reductions in tumor mass in malignancies resistant to all treatments
5. Improve quality of life for patients by reducing treatment toxicity and side effects from radiation and chemotherapy. A formal, controlled clinical study is warranted to further evaluate the effects of nutraceutical dietary supplementation in combination with standard cancer therapy.