Dawn Drinking of Water (Ushasi Panam)
Bhava Prakasha Ch. 5.303-304
Water is the river of life—the fluid for moving nutrients, hormones, blood cells, immune cells, enzymes, lubricants, wastes, etc. It is said to constitute 75% - 80% of the entire body weight. The author of the ancient text-- Bhava Prakasha -- Bhava Mishra—writes that: “8 prasriti (approx. 28 ounces) of water taken upon rising at dawn shall (enable one to) live for 100 years—free of disease and affects of old age. When done regularly it cures hemorrhoids, dropsy, duodenal disease, fever, abdominal enlargement, effects of old age, skin diseases, disorders of fat, retention of urine, bleeding disorders, pain in the ears, throat, head, and pelvis, eye diseases and other diseases caused by vata, pitta, kapha.”
It now seems clear that water is more important than the conventional wisdom suggests. Not only is survival linked to water intake, but health and disease are good barometers of the body’s on-going condition of hydration. Read the recent book, Your Body's Many Cries for Water, by Dr. F. Batmanghelidj for an understanding of the following interesting data:
· 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (may apply to half the world’s population)
· In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
· Mild dehydration may slow down metabolism as much as 3%.
· One glass of water eliminated midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters in an University of Washington study.
· Lack of water is the #1trigger of daytime fatigue.
· Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
· A mere 2% drop in body water can yield impaired short-term memory, difficulty with basic math, and reduced concentration in reading, etc.
· Daily drinking at least 5 glasses (1- 2 liter) of water decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 79%, and bladder cancer by 50%.
How to do this water protocol?
1) Upon rising in the early morning drink 28 ounces of water i.e., 3-4 cups (1 c. = 8 oz.).
2) Please note, neither drinks, nor any solid food, should be taken within 1 hour before or after drinking the 28 ounces of water.
3) Strictly avoid ALL alcoholic drinks the previous night.
4) If required, boiled or filtered water may be used but note that the minerals in natural water are important and some of the water you drink must have these minerals.
5) To begin with, one may find it difficult to drink 28 ounces of water at one time, but the body will adapt. Initially, drink 2-3 cups first and the balance after a couple minutes. You may experience frequent urination at first but elimination will normalize eventually.
6) Prana-ized water is best for drinking. Pour water from one container into another several times for best results. This pouring action imparts prana to the water, which gives vitality to the person.
7) Hot water is good for ama (toxicity). If there is a coating on the tongue, shifting aches and pains, malaise, sluggishness, slow appetite, consider drinking cups of hot water (as for tea or coffee) during the day. Sipping the water will be necessary to avoid burning the oral tissues.
(C) Copyright 1999 Michael Dick All Rights Reserved www.ayurveda-florida.com